If you need additional help, come to the Library Reference Desk or Ask A Librarian.
The best way to start searching the Library catalog is to do a keyword search for words that describe your topic. Try to choose specific keywords. You may need to experiment with keywords to find ones that work for your topic. Once you find some items, you can use subject headings to find other items that cover the same topic.
Call Number Ranges
Use these call number ranges to browse the General Collection and the Reference Collection.
|TL1 - TL296||Automobiles|
|TL210 - TL278.5||Automobiles--Design and Construction|
|TL152 - TL275||Automobiles--Maintenance and Repair|
These online books and videos can be accessed from the COD network or anywhere on the internet if you have a Library card.
- Knovel Library
This database is a cross-searchable collection of electronic books covering many subjects in technology, engineering, applied technology, science, chemistry and physics and much more. This collection contains a large selection of materials about Automotive Technology. Browse automotive titles here: Knovel Automotive
Here are some examples:
Automotive Electricity & Electronics. Santini, 2nd Ed.
Automotive Engineering Fundamentals
Automotive Software Engineering: Principles, Processes, Methods, and Tools
Automotive Safety Handbook
The library is a part of a consortium of academic libraries known as I-Share. As COD students, you can request items from other libraries online by creating an I-Share account. For more information, visit our I-Share Information Web Page.
Automotive Technology Videos in the Library
Videos in the Library are available to both students and faculty. Students can check out most of the Library videos but sometimes they have to be used in the Library. If you would like to take a reserved video home, please contact the Automotive Librarian to get permission for a brief loan.
Faculty, if you'd like to use a video in your class, please call the Circulation Department at 630-942-2106 to have the item delivered to the TEC building or held for pickup at the Library. You can book your videos well in advance of your classes and are strongly encouraged to do so.
How to Search for Videos in the Catalog
When you are in the Library catalog, click on the video tab, then do a search. (Ex. Automobiles) Use the limiters on the left side limit your search to Video formats. You can also choose to limit the search to a specific video format: VHS, DVD, or Electronic.
Have your library card handy to watch online videos from off-campus.
Use database to locate journal, magazine, newspaper or specialized articles. You can use your COD Library card to download articles from off-campus.
Databases are organized collections of information that you can search on a variety of fields, like title and author's name. iTunes is a database and so is Amazon. Even your contacts list in your phone is a type of mini database. The Library has databases of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals. We also have databases of streaming videos, music and e-books. The difference between our databases and iTunes or Amazon is that our stuff is free for you to use. You can browse the library's databases here: http://codlrc.org/databases
- Associates Program Source Plus
Associates Programs Source Plus is designed specifically for community colleges. It contains a wealth of full text trade magazines, engineering journals, and news articles. Use this to find product reviews, case studies, and practitioner-focused articles.
- Business Source Complete
Business Source Complete provides access to content and indexing for 1,300 journals. This database is focused on business and management. Use this to find case studies, product reviews, industry information, news, and more.
Other Database Choices
See the Automotive Research Databases page for other useful databases.
Automotive technology is a very complex topic, so it is best to search for materials on the Internet using tight, refined searches. Remember there are many specialized search tools you can use and also remember to carefully evaluate any information you find on the web.
The Library has prep materials on these ASE tests:
Catalog: ASE Prep
- Engine repair (Test A1)
- Automatic transmission/transaxle (Test A2)
- Manual drive trains and axles (Test A3)
- Suspension and steering (Test A4)
- Brakes (Test A5)
- Electrical/electronic systems (Test A6)
- Heating and air conditioning (Test A7)
- Engine performance (Test A8)
- Light vehicle diesel engines (Test A9)
- Service consultant (Test C1)
- Advanced engine performance (L1)
- Parts specialist (P2)
- Exhaust systems (Test X1)
- Maintenance & Light Auto Repair (Test G1)
These materials are available in the Career and College Information Center in the Library. Browse the Library Catalog for these materials. You can also borrow materials from I-Share Libraries with your COD library card.
Service Technician References
The Library provides access to three automotive service reference tools that professional technicians use in the field:
- A comprehensive resource for automotive diagnostic and repair information. Includes TSB's, diagnostic trouble codes, printable diagrams and a conversion calculator. (Available on campus only)
- Chilton Library
- Chilton Library includes service and specification tables, step-by-step service and repair procedures, TSB's and labor estimating, vacuum and wiring diagrams, close-up photographs and detailed illustrations, and basic ASE test prep for the most common exams. Available from off-campus with a library card.
- MotoLogic is an online service information system designed for the professional automotive technician. Data is farmed directly from the OEM service sites. This site compliments the information found in AllData. (Available on campus only)