Historical and Cultural Significance of Beauty Practices
The goal of your presentation is to inform your colleagues about the history and cultural significance of a beauty/cosmetic practice.
You will use library resources and websites to develop your presentation.
See below for suggested library resources.
You should use images in your presentation.
You'll deliver a 5 minute presentation to the class.
You will produce a presentations slide set and script that must include:
The beauty practice [Example topics below] (1-2 slides)
Discussion of the practice (1-2 slides)
Discussion of the cultural / social significance of the practice (1-2 slides)
Any other interesting information that you find out (1 or more slides)
A bibliography (1 slide)
All images should have a reference. (See example)
You will hand in your presentation slides and your script to your instructor.
Feel free to choose your own topic. IMPORTANT: Check with your instructor before you begin working on a topic.
Here are some examples:
Lip coloring (Lipstick)
Three sources total (or more if you like!)
One source must be a book.
Your website selections must be credible. See below.
Suggested Library Resources
How to Evaluate Websites
Apply the CRAP Test!
How to Create a Bibliography
We will use the "simplified citation style" for this assignment. Please refer to the Simple Cite page to learn how to create your Bibliography
A very brief example of this assignment (without script).
Your presentation will be graded using the following criteria. Your instructor will give you specific details about the number of points/grades.
- Accuracy: The student followed the directions for the assignment.
- Completeness: All elements of the project are complete.
- Resource Quality: The web resources chosen for the project are of sufficient quality. The web resources utilized in the project are appropriate for College-level work.
- Citations: The simplified citation style was applied accurately in the bibliography.
- Writing and Grammar: The presentation and script are without grammatical or spelling errors.
- Images: The images used in the presentation illustrated concepts appropriately. Images are relevant to the topic and/or discussion.
- Links to images taken from the Internet are included in the presentation
Contact the Cosmetology librarian for an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-942-2092. Evening and Weekend appointments available!
Feel nervous about giving a presentation? Contact the Writing, Reading, & Speech Assistance Center.