Welcome to the Education Research Guide.
Click on a tab below to find books, videos, articles, and websites for use in Education classes.
If you need additional help, stop by the Reference Desk or contact a reference librarian: Ask A Librarian.
Reference works, such as dictionaries and encyclopedias are useful for learning about background information on a topic
Please note that print reference books may be used while in the library only. Online reference books may be accessed from any on or off-campus computer. You'll need a library card to access online books and articles from off-campus.
Click on the links below to access the online book/website or record/description of the print book.
- The Almanac of American Education. Print.
Reference LA 217.2 .A45
- The Condition of Education. Online.
- The Digest of Education Statistics. Online.
- Education and Technology: An Encyclopedia. 2 vols. Print.
Reference LB 1028.3 .E17 2004
- Encyclopedia of American Education. 3 vols. Print.
Reference LB 17 .U54 2007
- Encyclopedia of Bilingual Education. 2 vols. Print.
Reference LC 3707 .E523 2008
- Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural School Psychology. Online.
- Encyclopedia of Education. 8 vols. Print.
Reference LB 15 .E47 2003
- Encyclopedia of Education and Human Development. 3 vols. Print.
Reference LB 15 .E473 2005
- Encyclopedia of Educational Psychology. 2 vols. Print.
Reference LB 1050.9 .E63 2008
- Encyclopedia of Learning Disabilities. Print.
Reference LC 4704.5 .T86 2006
- Encyclopedia of Special Education. 3 vols. Print and Online.
Reference LC 4007 .E53 2007
- Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education. 3 vols. Online.
- Gender and Education: an Encyclopedia. Online.
- The Greenwood Dictionary of Education. Print and Online.
Reference LB15 .G68 2003
- Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts. Online.
- International Handbook of Giftedness and Talent. Print and Online.
Reference LC3993 .I596 2000
- Key Concepts in Education. Online.
- Key Concepts in Learning Disabilities. Print.
Reference LC4704 .K49 2010
- Philosophy of Education: an Encyclopedia. Print and Online.
General LB17 .P485 1996
- The Praeger Handbook of Education and Psychology. 4 vols. Print.
Reference LB 1051 .P635 2007
- Praeger Handbook of Latino Education in the U.S. Print and Online.
General LC2669 .P73 2007
- The Praeger handbook of Learning and the Brain. 2 vols. Print.
Reference LB1060 .P683 2006
- Special Education: a Reference Book for Policy and Curriculum Development. 2nd ed. Print.
Reference LC 3981 .S33 2009
- Springer International Handbooks of Education: International Handbook of School Effectiveness and Improvement. Online.
- World Education Encyclopedia: A Survey of Educational Systems Worldwide. Print and Online.
Reference LB 15 .W87 2001
The Library owns many Education films in DVD, VHS and streaming formats. Check the list of titles at:
Find videos related to Early Childhood Education are at:
The Library subscribes to many databases that provide access to thousands of popular and credible, scholarly journals. Many databases provide access to full-text articles, while some provide information about the article only (citation). Request (for free!) through Interlibrary Loan copies of articles to which the Library doesn't have full-text access.
Access the article databases listed below.
Best Bet links: Databases and Journal Holdings
- Academic Search Complete References and abstracts to articles from about 9,100 magazines and professional journals. Use ADVANCED SEARCH to link keywords of topics. Many articles are PDF or full-text.
- Academic OneFile
References and abstracts to articles in about 3,000 magazines and professional journals in a variety of subject areas. If your subject is one topic -- bullying, high stakes tests, bilingual education, etc. use the subject search and look at Academic journal results. Use the ADVANCED SEARCH to link two or more keywords of topics. Many articles are PDF or full-text.
- Professional Development Collection provides a specialized collection of electronic information especially for professional educators, professional librarians and education researchers. This collection offers information on everything from childrens health and development to cutting-edge pedagogical theory and practice.
- ERIC (Ebsco version)
References and abstracts for over 750 education professional journals and thousands of documents including curriculum materials, conference papers and government reports. Use ADVANCED SEARCH to link terms you are using. Some articles are available full-text or online. Use the Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors by looking up your correct terms in in the "Thesaurus" link at the top). You may find full-text of journal articles listed if they were purchased in any of our other databases. Click the "Find this" feature. Be sure to use Interlibrary Loan if the article is not in any of our databases or the print.
Controversial Issues Topic Overviews:
- Issues and Controversies
Issues and Controversies presents overviews of crucial issues in Education. Topic areas include Church-State Separation, Educational Standards and Curriculum, Private and Public Funding and more.
- CQ Researcher
The CQ Researcher offers in-depth, non-biased coverage of today's most important issues. Browse major topics in Education to find long overviews (more than 12,000 words) with bibliographies. Each weekly issue provides up-to-date information on controversial subjects reported by CQ's staff of experienced reporters.
- Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything
Links to thousands of websites and PDFs related to educational technology in the classroom
- National Center for Education Statistics
Provides full-text access to the two of best sources of education statistics published by the government, Digest of Education Statistics and The Condition of Education. Includes a "Fast Facts" section for facts on timely education topics.
- Illinois Learning Standards
The standards define what students in all Illinois public schools should know and be able to do in the seven core areas as a result of their elementary and secondary schooling.
- Education Job Leads from ChicagoJobTalk.org
Links to job listings from area Regional Offices of Education, colleges, private schools and more.
- COD Library's research guide for K-12 OERs.