The Library at the College of DuPage offers a variety of patron-centered computing facilities which are available during all hours of operation.
The Library has computers which are available for use by all patrons. All Library PC's run the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system and are connected to network printers and the Internet. A variety of software is available on Library computers. Please familiarize yourself with the policies on the use of Library computers.
Running new software on public PCs:
In order to prevent malware-ridden programs from compromising network-linked computers, installing new software applications is restricted by denying administrative privileges to regular users. If you need to execute a new program or download an update on a workstation, please seek assistance from Computing/Printing Support staff in the Library.
The Library has laptop computers for students to use in the Library. The laptops run the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system. Those patrons wishing to connect to the Internet using a Library laptop can do so on both levels of the Library using the public wireless network. The Library also circulates laptop computers for use outside the Library for College faculty and staff. For information about this service, please contact the circulation department at (630) 942-2106.
The Library offers the following software on all of its PC and laptop computers:
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign, and Premier Pro
- Full Adobe Creative Cloud Suite in the Media Lab
Library users can access the Internet using the COD Public Wireless network. The network extends throughout the Library and can be accessed with wireless enabled computers. Computers should automatically connect to the Public Wireless Network when it has been detected.
Please note that student laptops checked-out from the Library are pre-configured to access the Internet without having to log in.
If you have any problems accessing or using the wireless network, please contact the Computer Support & Printing Services department.
Patrons can go to the Computing Support & Printing Services desk if they need immediate assistance with printers, copiers, microfilm readers, computers and installed software.
Library print jobs are managed by SmartPrint, a web-based system that allows you to easily manage your print jobs in the Library and at COD.
- No more print cards
- Pay with cash or credit/debits cards
- Web-based account management at smartprint.cod.edu
- Scan documents and send them directly your e-mail accounts
- You can print from your own device (laptop, phone, tablet)
- The Library has four Black & White printers, three Black & White copiers, and one Color printer/copier
- Printers are set to print double-sided by default
- Letter size black and white single-side price: $0.05/page
- Letter size black and white double-sided price: $0.09/sheet
- Letter size color single-side price: $0.09/page
- Letter size color double-sided price: $0.17/page
- If not released, print jobs remain listed in the Smart Print system for 24 hours.
- Visit https://smartprint.cod.edu and use your myACCESS login credentials to create an online account.
- Once you're logged in, click on the “Add Funds” link displayed next to your account balance. The minimum amount for an online transaction is $5.
- At the print release stations, students use their myACCESS login credentials to view and release their documents.
- Create a guest account by going to https://smartprint.cod.edu
- Once there, use the “I am a guest” link in the lower left-hand corner of the login page to create the account
- Use your personal e-mail account to complete the registration process.
- Log into the Smart Print system using the e-mail address and password used to create your account
Printing from Your Own Device
Smart Print enables everyone to print from laptops, phones, or tablets on the go. To submit a print job, COD students and Faculty/Staff members need to email their documents to [email protected] or [email protected] from their COD accounts.
For community users, the recipients are the same. Community members just need to remember to send files from the personal e-mail address connected to your SmartPrint account.
All users can use the cash kiosk in the Library Print Center to add money to accounts using paper money (coins not accepted). The kiosk will not provide change. The minimum amount of fund that can be added using the cash kiosk is $1.
The Library has a high speed book scanner available to use for free. The scanner has a touch-and-view monitor with a two-button interface and a SmartDock, which is used to transfer images wirelessly to smartphones and tablets. Users can scan documents to searchable PDF, JPEG, PNG, and RTF file formats and save their files on a USB flash drive or send them to e-mail or cloud storage services.
The Library offers a variety of assistive technologies for our patrons with disabilities. Please refer to the Library's Accessible & Assistive Services page for a complete list of these resources.