SRC 2021 (Library lower level)
The COD Library Media Lab is a place where COD students can create and edit all kinds of digital audio, video, and images. Located on the Library's lower level, the Lab consists of four imaging stations and two separate A-V editing suites. The Lab is free for all COD students to use--you just need a valid COD Library card.
The Lab gives you access to high-powered Mac workstations and popular media production software like Adobe's Creative Cloud suite and Avid Pro Tools. You'll find high quality photo scanners, drawing tablets, a 3D scanner, DSLR cameras, microphones, and other audio peripherals.
We also have helpful lab staff who can help you get started on your projects and answer questions about our equipment. So whether you're working on a video presentation, creating images for a research paper, or creating a digital short, come in and use our state of the art equipment to get your project started today!
Media Lab Policies
- The Media Lab is to be used for the creation of digital content. Priority is given to students completing work for COD classes.
- Media Lab workstations are available for 3-hours at time, and can be reserved in advance online. Stations may be renewed for an additional 3-hours depending on availability.
- Workstations must be checked out with a valid COD Library card which will be kept while you use the Lab.
- Imaging stations can be used by up to two people at a time. Video editing suites may have a group of up to four people.
- Cameras, audio recording devices, and other equipment can be checked out for up to two days at a time. All equipment needs to be reserved online before checkout. There is a $10 per day late fee for equipment not returned by the due date. All Media Lab equipment must be returned to the Media Lab. Do not return any equipment to Circulation or in any book drops.
- Some equipment can only be checked out for 3 hours at a time and must remain in the Library.
Using Media Lab Equipment
- Students are expected to use the media lab computers and peripherals in a professional and responsible manner. Users who damage or lose lab equipment will be charged for repair or replacement costs.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Lab.
- Headphones must be used at imaging stations. Volume must be kept at reasonable levels--as determined by the Lab monitor--in the video editing suites.
- Please report any equipment or software problems to the Lab monitor or Print Center staff.
- Use of cell phones and loud conversations are not allowed in the Lab.
Saving Your Work
You are responsible for saving your own work. Have an external memory or cloud storage device ready before starting a project. Library staff is not responsible for lost data or files due to not periodically saving your work. Lab computers will erase all local files when they are shut down or restarted.
The Media Lab has a Canon PIXMA PRO-1 Professional Inkjet Printer for high-quality color printing. Purchase of prints is deducted from student’s SmartPrint account in the amount indicated at the bottom of Library Media Lab Printing Agreement. Students must complete this form and ensure adequate funds have been added to their SmartPrint account prior to printing. Purchase of prints is nonrefundable.
8.5”x11” for $1 · 13”x19” for $2
The Media Lab uses Cannon Photo Paper Pro Luster.
Media Lab staff will provide support for installed software and hardware. Staff will also do their best to support additional web-based services and technologies.
Mac Pro Workstations (x2)
Engineered around workstation graphics with dual GPUs, PCIe-based flash storage, high-performance Thunderbolt 2, new-generation Xeon processors, ultrafast memory, and support for 4K video, the new Mac Pro delivers state-of-the-art performance across the board.
- Quad-Core and Dual GPU
- 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
- 12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
- Dual AMD FirePro D300 with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
- 256GB PCIe-based flash storage
- Apple Thunderbolt Display - 27-inch LED-backlit wide screen display with 2560 x 1440 resolution
iMac Workstations (x4)
With fourth-generation Intel Core processors, high-speed graphics, Thunderbolt I/O, and an advanced Fusion Drive option, the Library's iMacs are incredibly powerful tools.
- 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
- Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
- 8GB (two 4GB) memory
- 1TB hard drive1
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory
- 27-inch LED-backlit widescreen display with 2560 x 1440 resolution
Canon PIXMA PRO-1 Professional Inkjet Printer
The PIXMA PRO-1 Professional Inkjet Printer is a professional photo printer with great color saturation and deep blacks that provides high-accuracy and quality printing. Students may purchase photo prints sized 8.5”X11” or 13”X19” from the Media Lab service desk.
Cannon CanoScan 9000F Mark II Scanners (x4)
Enjoy high-speed scanning for everything from photos to documents, to even 35mm film while also enjoying superb quality. These are high-speed scanners with professional film scanning quality and 9600 x 9600 maximum color dpi.
Wacom Intuos Pen & Touch Medium (x4)
Intuos Creative Pen & Touch Mediums offer a large digital canvas for art, painting and photo-editing projects, allowing for broad pen strokes and fluid arm movements.
- Active Area: 8.5 x 5.3 in
- Physical Size: 10.75 x 8.75 x 0.4 in
- Pressure Levels: 1024 on pen tip with eraser
Avid MBox (x2)
Working together with Avid Pro Tools, Avid MBox allows you to record, edit, and mix performances-with stunning sound quality-using the Mbox's professional-grade audio interface.
- 4 x 4 channels of I/O
- Two XLR mic/line combo inputs with 48V phantom power
- Two 1/4" DI inputs
- Two balanced 1/4" monitor outputs
- 1/4" headphone output
- Stereo S/PDIF digital I/O
- 1x1 MIDI I/O
- Monitor control section
- Dedicated monitor volume knob
MakerBot Digitizer 3D Scanner
With just two clicks, the MakerBot Digitizer Desktop 3D Scanner’s easy to use, yet sophisticated software creates clean, watertight 3D models that are ready to 3D print.
EOS Rebel T5i
The EOS Rebel T5i is the new flagship of the spectacular Rebel Line. It is a simple and intuitive to use DSLR that you can use to create breathtaking photos and video with ease. The Media Lab's Rebel T5i comes in a kit with all of the lenses and peripherals you'll need to complete your project.
- Canon EOS T5i w/18-55mm IS STM Lens
- Canon EF 55-250mm IS STM Lens
- Various filters
- MeFoto QOP Travel Tripod
- Digital Exposure Gray/White Balance Card
- Shure VP83 Camera Mounted Condeser Microphone
GoPro Hero 4 Silver
The touch-screen controls and wearable nature of the GoPro's design makes it easy to capture stunning 4k resolution action from your unique first-person perspective.
- Go Pro Hero 4 camera
- Battery pack (X3)
- Screen protector (X2)
- USB adapter
- Head harness
- Chest harness
Canon Vixia HF R50 3.28 MP Camcorder ‑ 1080p
Records video footage and stills in vivid 1080p HD. Camera is equipped with image stabilizing, nightmode, and Wi-Fi capabilities.
- 31GB SD card
- Carrying case
- USB adapter
- Battery Charger
Kingston Media Reader USB 3.0 (X5)
Flash memory card reader
- M2/MS DUO
Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod (X2)
Small tripod for use with compact, DSLR, or iPhone cameras.
Impact Collapsable Chroma Green Background
Portable 5’X7’ green screen ideal for shooting small objects or simple headshots. Screen is easily collapsible and comes with its own carry bag.
- Condenser microphones
- Midi keyboard
- Handheld audio recorder
- Smartphone camera lenses
Imaging and graphics
- Photoshop: Image editing and compositing
- Illustrator: Vector graphics and illustration
- InDesign: Page design and layout for print and digital publishing
- Lightroom: Digital photo processing and editing
- Blender: 3D modeling
- Wacom drawing tablets
- MakerWare for Digitizer: 3D scanning software
Video production, editing, and animation
- Premiere Pro: Video production and editing
- After Effects: Cinematic visual effects and motion graphics
- Flash: Interactive experiences, game design, and mobile device packaging
- SpeedGrade: Film finishing and color grading
- Handbrake: a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- VLC: Media player
- Blender: 3D modeling and animating
- Prelude: Metadata ingest, logging, and rough cuts
Audio and recording
- Apple GarageBand: Allows user to create music and/or podcasts
- Apple Logic Pro X: Apple's more advanced audio production software Allows user to create music and/or podcasts
- Audition: Audio recording, mixing, and restoration
- Audacity: Audio recording and editing
- Avid MBox/ProTools: Multi-track recorder and editor. Features time code, tempo maps, elastic audio, automation and surround sound capabilities.
- Oxygen 49 MIDI controller
Web and device design and coding
- Dreamweaver: Web and mobile design
- Muse: Website design without coding
- Edge Animate: Create interactive and animated web content
- Edge Reflow: Design the responsive web
- Scout: Profile Flash games on web and devices
- Flash Builder: IDE for coding Flash apps and mobile device packaging
- Fireworks: Image editing for websites and apps
Encoding and organization
- InCopy: Collaborate with copywriters and editors
- Bridge: Centralize your creative assets
- Adobe Media Encoder: Quickly output video files for virtually any screen